31 / 03 / 2017
This briefing provides an overview of Next steps on the Forward View, NHS England's delivery plan, which charts a series of actions the health service must take over the next two years.
- Four national service improvement priorities for 2017/18 and 2018/19 identified as urgent and emergency care, primary care, cancer and mental health.
- Acknowledgement that the need to deliver financial balance will require some trade-offs, including more pressure on waiting times for elective care.
- STPs are now referred to as 'sustainability and transformation partnerships’, with the best given the opportunity to evolve into accountable care systems (ACSs).
- A ten-point efficiency plan lays out the steps trusts and CCGs must take to cut waste and improve efficiency.
- NHS England and NHS Improvement commit to joint working at both a national and regional level, while still retaining their distinct statutory responsibilities.